If FC Barcelona beats Wisla Plock at home, Bjerringbro-Silkeborg can reach the Last 16 of the VELUX EHF Champions League by winning at home against Kadetten Schaffhausen.
Written by Jonas Løytved
Photo: Ole Mørk, www.midtjysk-foto.dk
One dramatic weekend will decide whether Bjerringbro-Silkeborg or Wisla Plock will be among the Last 16 in the VELUX EHF Champions League. Saturday night, the Poles play in Barcelona and if they lose, it is all in Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s hands. Then they can proceed from the group of death by beating Kadetten Schaffhausen at home.
– When we saw the draw and the match program, it was our dream to have this chance in our last home game. Hopefully, we get that chance and we must reach out for that chance. We will do everything to do our part of the job. It is a big opportunity for us, told Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s head coach, who passionately will watch the game between Plock and Barcelona on Saturday, where the Danes need help from the Spaniards.
– We focus on preparing ourselves for the game on Sunday. We prepare us for a final and then we will see what happens on Saturday in Barcelona.
Kadetten still motivated
The preparations for the Schaffhausen game are preparations for a tough game. Even though Kadetten Schaffhausen are finishing eight in Group A no matter the result in Denmark, they have shown in the latest games, that they can match the best teams in the world.
– It is a top professional team with profiles such as the top scorer of the VELUX EHF Champions League Garbor Csaszar. Kadetten Schaffhausen has not got as many points as they have hoped in the VELUX EHF Champions League and they is among other things due to our win in Switzerland in September but it says a lot about the team and its quality that they in 2017 have matched all their opponents. If anybody thinks that have lost their motivation that is not the case and they come to Silkeborg to win.
– It is a physically strong team with a defensive defense. We need to find solutions against that defense and once again we do well in our defense and in goal like we have done in many games and we did in Schaffhausen, said Bredsdorff-Larsen.
The coach calls it a huge accomplishment for Bjerringbro-Silkeborg and Danish handball if they can proceed to the final rounds from a group which has been descried as the toughest in the history of the VELUX EHF Champions League.
– Other Danish teams have qualified for the Last 16 before us but the new VELUX EHF Champions League format is special and our group has been declared the strongest ever. To go through from that group will be a fantastic achievement. It will be fantastic for our club if we can proceed, told the Bjerringbro-Silkeborg coach.
JYSK Arena in Silkeborg is sold out for the battle on Sunday. Last Saturday night, we know if everything will be decided on Sunday in JYSK Arena. Bjerringbro-Silkeborg against Kadetten Schaffhausen throws off at 16.50 and the game is live on DR1 Denmark and EHFTV.com.