Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s Sebastian Skube thinks Pick Szeged is the favourites while his brother Stas Skube playing for the Hungarians thinks it is fifty-fifty.
Written by Jonas Løytved
Photo: Ole Mørk, www.midtjysk-foto.dk
One Skube will play in the quarter finals of the VELUX EHF Champions League. But will it be Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s Sebastian or Pick Szeged’s Stas?
The two Slovenian brothers have played against each other many time in the Slovenian league but for the first time, the brothers face each other in the VELUX EHF Champions League. On Sunday, they battle at Sebastian’s home court in Silkeborg and the week after, they battle at Stas’ in Szeged.
– Our family said right away, that they would be at both games. Of cause, it is something special for them. They have told us, that they will cheer for Bjerringbro-Silkeborg in Denmark and for Pick Szeged in Hungary, told Bjerringbro-Silkeborg playmaker Sebastian Skube.
His brother was thrilled when he saw that Bjerringbro-Silkeborg beat Kadetten Schaffhausen two weeks ago and secured a spot in the Last 16.
– I really wanted Bjerringbro-Silkeborg to win against Kadetten Schaffhausen and I was really happy with their win. I am looking forward to play against Sebastian. I have played against him many times but I have not been so successful, so I hope that I will be the winner of the brother’s match this time, said Pick Szeged’s Stas Skube.
The brothers would probably rather have played against each other in the final of the VELUX EHF Champions League. There can only be one winner so one of them will be disappointed.
– It is not always that fun to play against your brother. Our family must accept that one fo us is going to lose. One will be happy and the other will be sad, said Sebastian Skube, who this time is not the favourite against his brother.
– I think that Szeged is favourites to win over two matches. We have many problems with inguries with Allan Damgaard, Sebastian Frandsen and Johan Hansen out. Szeged has 16 players who can play on top level and we do not but if we play well and win the home game, then we only have to survive for 60 minutes in Szeged, told the older Skube brother.
To Bjerringbro-Silkeborg playing the Last 16 is already a dream coming true but now, they dream of more European success.
– We are very happy about just being in the Last 16. It is amazing that we have made it through. Everybody around the club are very happy. We have already done something huge. Against Szeged, we again want to show that Bjerringbro-Silkeborg can play on a high international level. Szeged has a better them than our team but of cause, we dream of a win, said Sebastian Skube.
His brother does not agree that he and Szeged team are favourites. He sees the duel completely open.
– I think the chances are fifty-fifty.
– We made a good result in our group with finishing 3rd but now, everything is possible. We want to play two great matches against Bjerringbro-Silkeborg. It is good that the second game at home in Szeged and we hope that we will go through to the quarter-finals, said the younger Skube brother.
He tells that Szeged is aware of the challenge that waits them. They have noticed Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s many great performances in the VELUX EHF Champions League.
– All the people in the club know Bjerringbro-Silkeborg very well. Our coach knows every player from Bjerringbro-Silkeborg player and he has watched many of their games. I have too watched many of their games in the Danish League and in VELUX EHF Champions League and I know that Bjerringbro-Silkeborg has a very strong team, told Stas Skube.
The first battle between the Skube brothers is Sunday at 16.50 in Denmark. The game is live on DR1 Denmark and EHFTV.com.