Bjerringbro-Silkeborg hunts points in the tough Group A in the VELUX EHF Champions League when they face FC Barcelona on Sunday.
Written by Jonas Løytved
Photo: Ole Mørk, www.midtjysk-foto.dk
An excellent performance last week in Veszprem was not enough for Bjerringbro-Silkeborg to grab an important point in the highly contested Group A in the VELUX EHF Champions League. The Danish Champions lost by only one goal in Hungary and with Wisla Plock’s win on Wednesday against Kadetten Schaffhausen, the Polish side moved past Bjerringbro-Silkeborg in the group table. Plock is now on five point while Bjerringbro-Silkeborg has four point in the battle for the sixth place.
– We did a fantastic performance in Veszprem and we have delivered only great performances in the VELUX EHF Champions League. Especially in the two game, we have won. However, we are not even half way through. We need to create upsets that give us points to make our dream of reaching the Last 16 come true. Our performance in Veszprem was an upset but we need some point, told Bjerringbro-Silkeborg coach Peter Bredsdorff-Larsen.
Next chance for Bjerringbro-Silkeborg to create an upset and to grab points is on Sunday when FC Barcelona visit JYSK Arena.
– It is a fantastic handball team that comes to the city. It is a club with an amazing history.
– It is the team, which shoots the most and the best from the distance. It will be the challenge for us but it will also be the opportunity, if our defense can stop the Barcelona shooters, said Bredsdorff-Larsen.
Thomsen has a good feeling
One of the main figures in Bjerringbro-Silkeborg’s defense is Klaus Thomsen. Together with his teammates, he faces the dilemma between tackling the shooters and controlling the line players.
– I think our defense has a good chance. It is always exiting to say when playing against one of the best teams in the world. They have many players who can score goals from 10 to 11 meters and at the same time, they have some really strong line players. If we are too offensive, we give their line players too much room, but I have a good feeling.
– We want to come forward and tackle the shooters. While other teams focus on blocking, we focus on being aggressive on the backcourt players. We hope to stress them. We know, that Barcelona has only world class players and it will be a huge challenge but it we play on high level, I think we have a chance, told Klaus Thomsen.
Throw off between Bjerringbro-Silkeborg and FC Barcelona is Sunday at 16.50. The game will be live on DR1 Denmark, Esport3 Spain and EHFTV.com.